Friday, March 14, 2014

DIY Ruffle Tote


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Remember my first ruffle tote? Well, I made another one! Only this one, (in my humble opinion), is TEN times more beautiful! Being as I am a classical music lover, I am in love with this tote. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. It's just SO pretty!
Okay, now that I'm done patting myself on the back, let's look at some pictures!

Front side


The top ruffle. I serged the edges using only one needle instead of two, and I used a tan thread to match. It looks so perfect, and works better than just zig-zagging the edges like I did in my other tote.
I removed the basting stitches from the top ruffle, but left them in the others. After all, they don't show, right?

Fabric flowers. I detest making these things, because it's just such a pain to try to make them look right, but it's worth every minute of it. They add the perfect finishing touch to this tote. I followed this tutorial to make them, except I sewed them together instead of just gluing them. I just safety-pinned them on so they can be removed for washing. (That's my pretty excuse for not wanting to try to sew them onto the bag....clever huh?)

Inside view

The ruffles end [peacefully] at the sides....they're actually pieced on the other side, but it doesn't show at all due to the ruffling.


Underneath view of the ruffles



Back side. It's just as pretty as the front!

And here's both of them having a ruffle tote bag reunion. I made the ruffles go further up on the new tote, and I really like the effect! 
Thanks for stopping by to check out my new tote! I'd love to have you check out my Vintage Dress Sew-Along.
Follow my blog on Bloglovin, or enter your email address above on the right to have new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
Visit the blog live to leave a comment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Follow Me on Pinterest

20 comments:

  1. I love these bags- they are so pretty! I might have to do something like that for my next bag- which will be awhile because I just made a new one. Thanks for showing these off, they really are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO pretty!! What fabric is this? I LOVE IT! I do not have a serger yet, what serger do you use? I want to do this so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! The musical fabric is BasicGrey Sweet Serenade for Moda, Pattern #30343. The floral is Holly Holderman #LH08060 "Teatime Marguerite Bouquet" (www.lakehousedrygoods.com).
      Our serger is a Janome Mylock Differential Feed 134D. It is several years old.
      Thanks again for your compliments!!

      Delete
  3. I love ruffles! They both look great, would be glad to have either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are FABULOUS! So shabby chic! Pinning and sharing!

    - Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body {www.designertrapped.com}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tote! I love the blue fabric and the rosettes! Too cute!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this...so effective. Glad to be your newest follower on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! I love them both! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your lovely compliments!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these bags! I have been obsessed with ruffles lately! I will have to pin for later! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! They are both so pretty and practical, and i like the layered ruffles and the fabric roses - they do look a bit of a fiddle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! It's awesome! thanks for sharing on my blog hop! http://contentemeant.blogspot.com/2014/03/what-are-you-doing-wednesday-blog-hop-43.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara!! Thanks for hosting the blog hop!

      Delete
  12. all I can say is beautiful!! I love them both! Thanks for sharing on the Wake Up Wednesday Linky!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is probably a silly question but I am new here...do you ever make these to sell? I have been looking for something like this FOREVER!!! I teach piano and play at our church and just plain LOVE music! This would be so perfect for all my books! Let me know at lisa.bishop@gmail.com. Thank you for listening to my rant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't currently sell anything - I am trying to focus on sewing for myself right now (vintage style clothing, regency gowns, etc) but in the future I hope to start an Etsy shop. I play the piano at my church also! I will let you know when and if I start selling. Thank you for commenting!! :-)

      Delete
  14. Would you be willing to share some of the measurements you used on this project ? It's just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for not responding sooner!! I doubled the entire width of my tote bag (front and back), and made the strips about 4" wide. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  15. How beautiful totes! I love the fabulous fabrics's choice! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!! I will reply here on the blog, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box or check back soon! Thank you :)